Seeking P/T Warehouse Asst/Order Picker
Added on January 7, 2023
Do you love food with a good story?
Are you passionate about supporting local farmers and food producers, and want to be part of the local food community?
Do you enjoy work that keeps you strong and moving?
Do you have steady availability on Tues/Wed/Thurs each week?
Would you benefit from a weekly organic food bonus?
If you answered yes to all of the above, we would love to hear from you!
Our Warehouse Assistant/Order Picker is responsible for timely, accurate picking of Harvest Box orders (organic produce + more), including:
• Receiving produce orders,
• Setting up routes,
• Picking orders on a time-sensitive schedule, in collaboration with other team members
• Other general warehouse tasks.
In this position, you'll be on your feet working on concrete floors in an unheated/un air conditioned warehouse space, working inside coolers, lifting heavy boxes (up to 50 lbs), and moving quickly to complete orders in a timely fashion. It requires efficiency, accuracy, strength, responsibility, and teamwork, and it absolutely helps if you ENJOY physical work and working with food! Hours will mainly take place between 6:30 and 2 on Tues/Wed/Thurs (5-7 hours per day, varies with workload).
The ideal applicant will be:
• Reliable and able to commit to the hours as described. Ability to cover for others from time to time is appreciated as well. If you do not use a vehicle, please consider how you will arrive for work. Our warehouse is located at 806 Crowley Ave, a 3 minute walk from the #2 bus and a 10 minute walk from the #5 bus in the north end of downtown Kelowna; careful planning would be needed to ensure reliable early morning arrivals. We are also close to the rail trail if you are a cycle commuter.
• Able to safely lift and carry 40-50lb boxes on a regular basis. Yoga, or a similar practice promoting body awareness and self-care, would be helpful background.
• Able to maintain health and good spirits while working in cold and dark conditions.
• Efficient, and motivated to move quickly. You love a good challenge!
• Accurate and attentive to details. Getting our customers' orders right every time is our goal!
• Resourceful, good at problem-solving, AND willing to ask for help + clarification as needed.
• A friendly, positive team player and effective communicator.
• Interested in organic food/farming and health/wellness.
In addition to these qualifications, we are seeking a stable team player, who is able to commit to this position for a minimum of 1 year, and ideally 2 years or longer. Perhaps you are a parent of school-aged children returning to work...an evening/weekend server or artist or musician with availability during the week...self-employed in a p/t way...a student in an online program with a flexible schedule...passionate about organic food but struggling to afford rising food prices?! Whatever your story, we would love to hear how it could mesh with this position for the next year or beyond!
Please apply by submitting your resume AND a cover letter to email@example.com outlining your specific interest in this position and why you feel it’s a good fit for your skills, interests, and life situation (referring specifically to our qualifications above), as well as your earliest start date. Your cover note does NOT need to be formal, but it DOES need to be thoughtful and specific! Help us to see why you're the perfect fit for this job!
Starting wage $18-20 per hour, depending on experience (+ weekly organic food bonus).
Please include 2-3 work references.
We are looking for just the right candidate to complete our team! Please note that while we appreciate your interest and respect your time and energy, we will NOT be contacting all applicants, due to time constraints. Only applications WITH A COVER NOTE/LETTER will be considered!